Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
After last weeks hefty introduction to textures, Ian shares with us some tips, trips, and best practices for using and making them.
- Procedural Generator Software includes – Allegorithmic Substance Designer, MaPZone, Genetic Texture Generator
- Also many 3D softwares can generate and use procedural textures for 3D models within the application, without needing to generate a separate file for the texture.
- Creating procedural textures vary from program to program.
- Combining several procedurals and changing their transformations can add to the realism of the texture.
- Also mixing procedurals with photographic textures can add more realism. Example – using a checkerboard pattern to mix between two different marble patterns to make a marble checkerboard texture.
- Hand-painted textures can be time-consuming and require a lot of skill.
- You can use different blend modes, layer properties, and filters in Photoshop or other drawing programs to add to the realism of the painted texture.
- Face your subject head on.
- Don’t zoom in too close, try to get more of the pattern in the photo.
- Have the subject framed well..
- Try to avoid textures with shadows, reflections, or lens flares
- Use a manual white balance.
- Only photograph with enough light.
- Have a faster shutter speed, and have your subject in focus.
Texture Mapping Wiki
UV Mapping Wiki
Dimensions and Projections
A Common Mistake in the ‘Flatland’ Analogy
2D Projection Texture Mapping
List of Procedural Texture Generators
Top 10 Tips of Texturing
2D Texture Mapping
Creating 2D and 3D Textures
Making Some Textures
Texture Pack Creation Playlist
Create a Brushed Metal Texture in Photoshop
Adding Knots to a Wooden Texture in Photoshop
Texture Painting Wooden Planks
Specular Map Creation Tutorial
How to Photograph Textures
12 Tips for Shooting Great Textures and a Free Texture Pack
How to Photograph Your Own Textures
Textures Ep 113: Take & Make Great Photography with Gavin Hoey: Adorama Photography TV
Photographing Forms and Textures
How to Turn a Texture into a Seamlessly Tiled Background
Creating Seamless Textures in Photoshop Tutorial
Photoshop Offset Filter Making Seamless Textures
Easily Create Seamless Photo Textures
Creating Seamless Textures from Photos in Photoshop
Seamless Textures in Photoshop
Seamless Textures with Photoshop
Photoshop Seamless Texture Tutorial
Photoshop – Seamless Texture
How to Create a Seamless Pattern in Photoshop
How to Make a Painting into a Repeating Pattern in Photoshop
Create a Seamless Pattern in Photoshop
How to Make a Seamless and Tile-able Wallpaper
Photoshop Tutorial: 10-Minute Pattern Creation
Photoshop Tutorial: Create Pattern Wallpapers
How to Make a Repeat Pattern Swatch in Adobe Illustrator